The cost of medical care, especially hospital stays, can quickly add up. Hospitalization insurance, also sometimes called Hospital Insurance or Hospital Indemnity, can help you prepare your budget for unexpected medical costs resulting from a hospital stay. That’s why UnitedHealthcare offers Hospital SafeGuard, underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company.
View plans by state
Select your state from the menu to read more about plans available where you live.
Why should I purchase hospital insurance?
On top of helping you prepare your budget for the expenses surrounding hospital stays, Hospital Indemnity Insurance has the following benefits:
- You don’t have to meet a deductible to receive your benefits
- No networks - payment amounts are the same regardless of whether you are in-network1 or out-of-network
- Benefit payments are yours to use as you decide
- Coverage is available for the entire family
- Coverage is renewable until age 65
How do UnitedHealthcare hospital indemnity insurance plans work?
Simply complete a claim form and submit it with attached copies of your receipts for any covered items (see the plan you choose for details). You are then issued a check2 you can use as you see fit. Benefits are paid in a lump sum directly to you, and amounts are fixed and determined by your policy, regardless of the amount of expenses incurred.
1. Submit a claim form with receipts
2. Receive a check to use as you see fit
Consider Hospital SafeGuard
So, consider using Hospital SafeGuard to help you keep your budget healthy even during those times when you unexpectedly aren’t.
Hospital indemnity is not ACA minimum essential coverage
This is a supplement to health insurance and is not a substitute for the minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Lack of major medical coverage (or other minimum essential coverage) may result in an additional payment with your taxes.3
- There are no network limitations for Hospital SafeGuard plans, but you may be bound to certain networks and providers with your major medical plan.
- Within calendar-year maximums.
- In DC, IL, and SD you must already have a health plan that is considered minimum essential health coverage by the ACA to qualify for Hospital SafeGuard.
No individual applying for health coverage through the individual Marketplace will be discouraged from applying for benefits, turned down for coverage, or charged more premium because of health status, medical condition, mental illness claims experience, medical history, genetic information or health disability. In addition, no individual will be denied coverage based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, political affiliation or source of income.
References to UnitedHealthcare pertain to each individual company or other UnitedHealthcare affiliated companies.
Administrative services are provided by United HealthCare Services, Inc. or their affiliates.
Products and services offered are underwritten by Golden Rule Insurance Company, Health Plan of Nevada, Inc., Oxford Health Insurance, Inc., UnitedHealthcare Life Insurance Company, UnitedHealthcare of the Mid-Atlantic, Inc., UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc.
This policy is subject to various exclusions and limitations. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call (or write) your insurance agent or the company (whichever is applicable).